Things to know about the Chrysler Portal Concept, plus more build up to CES and Detroit Auto Show
January 3, 2017
FCA today unveiled the Chrysler Portal Concept, the "fifth generation of family transportation." The first four are (or were) station wagons, minivans, SUVs, and crossovers. FCA claims that the Portal is what millenials will want out of THEIR family transportation vehicle. Here are some highlights:
1. Electric-powered estimated to have more than 250 miles of range on a full charge
2. One electric motor drives the front wheels
3. The battery pack can be charged up to 150 miles of range in less than
20 minutes using a DC Fast Charge
4. Semi-autonomous driving mode can be upgraded to autonomous driving
5. Up to 10 docking stations
6. In-vehicle wireless network
7. Community social sharing among passengers and internet cloud-based applications
8. Facial recognition and voice biometrics
9. Tracks embedded in the floor allow the seats to move the full length of the vehicle or removed.
10. A full-length clear polycarbonate roof panel
Check out more pictures:
There’s a new competitor in the race to improve technology in cars. Volvo Cars and Autoliv have finished the paperwork on a new joint venture. It’s called Zenuity. The goal is to develop software for autonomous driving and driver assistance systems and sell it to customers. They expect to have their first driver assistance products available for sale by 2019.
New technology behind the wheel could soon be at your fingertips. FCA and Google are unveiling a Uconnect System Concept Powered by Android. The collaboration has been focusing on connected car systems, including ways to integrate Android apps into the vehicle’s infotainment system. The result of their work will be on display at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas later this week.
Designers at Infiniti will reveal more of their vision for the future at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The premium automotive company says they plan the global debut of the Infiniti QX50 concept. They hinted what the mid-size SUV would look like when they unveiled the QX Sport Inspiration at the 2016 Beijing Auto Show.